8.06.2007

Virgin Music Festival

Posted by web ninja

Not really a house project, but a reason why I haven't done house projects this weekend. Actually this really is a good reason because not only did it take up a whole weekend, I sprung for the $250 VIP tickets.

What does $250 VIP ticket get you? VIP parking, which sucked since it was about a 5 min walk to the entrance and you had to park in the grass. Where's my red carpet treatment? The VIP viewing areas on North and South stages were nice, but the VIP tents were to the side of the stage and although there was a VIP bar/concession stand it was far from the action. It did feel good to get to enter all the VIP sectioned off parts, but I expected more ass kissing for $250. Guess VIP should have been labeled SIP (somewhat important person).

Saturday bands I saw, in order (couldn't do the two day thing, too old for that):

Incubus
Peter Bjorn and John
Danny Tenaglia
Sasha & John Digweed
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
Beastie Boys
The Police

Incubus was great, lots of energy and maybe because everyone was still fresh and hydrated the crowd was pumped. Danny Tenaglia had a great groove going when Matt and I went to the Dance Tent, but there was a delay before Sasha and Digweed went on and they started up slow and trancy without a lot of punch. Later on walking by they sounded better. Also the Dance Tent had great horizontal equalizer lights that would look great as wall art or a super headboard (home project research at VMF!).

Ben Harper was so good he brough tears to my eyes when he sang burn one down. He ended with a new song, forgot the name and I didn't hear any gospel. He really poured himself into his songs.

The Beasties were ok, some technical difficulties with Adrock's guitar, and they played some older punk songs that weren't to my liking. I did like the brass monkey remix with missy eliot beats and some electroclash mixed in.

The Police, not my favorite band, but damn sting looked good. Guess all that yoga and tantric sex is worth it. They sounded great too, and played all the favorites. Didn't stay for Roxanne, which I presume they played at the end. Matt and I beat the crowed and jetted out of there about 30 min early. Overall a great show and the VIP passes were semi-worth it.

Flickr Pics

0 comments: