10.14.2007

Gimme Light

Posted by web ninja

Although the kitchen in the WH is very open and has loads of natural light during the day, at night I thought it could use a bit more uniform light. Back to Ikea for some wire lights (not sure what they're called). I've been trying to buy the wire (string?, suspended?, floating?) lights from Ikea for months, but every time I went there for other projects they were sold out.
Finally on trip 3 or maybe 4 they had the good hardware, the Norrsken (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80025855), but they didn't have the little saucer lights that went with it. I thought the saucer lights looked too heavy anyway so I opted for two sets of the Sansa (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20095262). I couldn't confirm that the lights where interchangeable, but I thought for the price I couldn't loose much to try.


TIME: 6 hours (felt like 10) not including the 1 hour spent at Ikea, nor the 2 hours in the car to get to Ikea
COST: $34 for two of the Sansas and about $60 for the Norrsken, so let's say $100 total
LESSONS LEARNED: Ikea lighting is great for the price, but as usual with Ikea products requires a bit of finesse for the install.
THANKS: To Clare for bringing back my ladder, and Dan for handing me tools and letting me bounce ideas off him.

Before there was a hanging light, which I plan on using elsewhere


Only two recessed lights and a globe lamp


The hardest part was mounting the hardware to string the wires across


Glad I got the upgraded hardware, it looks great


Ikea bracket needed to be modified by drilling a hole in its center and bolting it to the original bracket from the hanging lamp


Here's a pic of the main box and the Sansa lights, which are very delicate looking. They remind me of insects for some reason.


After shot. Still need to replace that globe with something cooler.


The new lights give off a warm light across the whole kitchen


Another shot of the hardware and lights.

2 comments:

Xopher Lance said...

cool, it reminds me of the 3 lights strung on long wires across that back wall at 35 rue Rousselet. Remember that joint?

Anonymous said...

Helloooooooooooooo, love those lights; I bet that they will give a warm glow especially now towards winter.
Looking forward to seeing them son.
Mom