6.15.2007

Project Get the Brass Out

Posted by web ninja

Why does brass or that cheap shiny gold exist as a house fixture color? I don't know many people who'd prefer it to silver, maybe it's cheaper to make? I was lucky enough to have a fan in each of the bedrooms in the WH. Only problem was all of them are colonial country kitchen style. But the one in the master bedroom did have some clean lines, all it needed was to have the brass ring and frosted globe removed.

Once again Ikea comes to the rescue with one of its inexpensive pendent lamps. I picked something small and simple and it sure beats shelling out $200-$400 bucks for a modern fan. I took apart the pendant light and mounted the halogen fixture into the base of the fan then glued the clear shade to the fan. Wha la!

TIME: 2 hours not including the 2 hours spent at Ikea, nor the 2 hours in the car to get to Ikea
COST: $15
LESSONS LEARNED: Ikea is the legos of modern decor
THANKS: To my parents who bought all those legos when I was little


I removed ol frosty globe the day I moved in, but this wasn't a good look either


Get the brass out


clear plastic > brass


Not bad for a quick fix


Up close looks like it came like that from the factory

2 comments:

Xopher Lance said...

frosted globes mirrored closet doors and shiny brass give me the effin' creeps. at least your paris flat was cool; when I worked for ilm I had to live in a friggin' dollhouse. peep this.

danielito said...

nice little trick, like the legos comment.