10.20.2009

Two Movies I liked + 1 more

Posted by web ninja

So we dropped HBO (well True Blood won't be back till next year) and I
started focusing on my netflix queue.  I didn't pay much attention to
the movies since with HBO on demand I always had like 10+ movies I
could watch.  Well the two movies that were sitting on the coffee
table for a while were Dead Man and Donnie Darko (directors cut).  Not
sure why I was reluctant to watch them, because both were way better
than I imagined.

Dead Man - not sure why I picked this, probably came up due to Johnny
Depp, but it really was an intriguing movie.  It was shot very
artistically in black and white, but as with most good movies it was
the story and characters that pull you in.  Highly recommend it, even
if it's not a typical western it has the elements that the best
westerns have.  The soundtrack was also great, added to the mood of
the film.

Donnie Darko - I'm sure by now everyone has seen DD, but it has been a
while, and I figured the directors cut would be worth watching it
again.  Maybe it was the late 80s soundtrack or my mood, but damn did
I enjoy this version.  So much that I started wondering what
difference the dir cut has (I've read it has 20 more minutes that
round out the whole film).  Whatever it was, I highly recommend it.

Crank 2 - My GF loves Jason Statham and Crank 1 was a highly
entertaining if slightly cheesy movie. I had no expectations for this
one, and as a result it pleasantly delivered. The same video gammy
feel taken to a higher level, made this a funny and entertaining movie
to watch. In a lot of ways the low fi special effects worked well,
maybe I'm done with high blown digital perfection, movies are about
entertainment (mostly) and this one does.

Posted via email from webninja's post(erou)s

0 comments: